Phone IMEI Number: Do you keep getting asked for an IMEI number and aren’t sure what to do? No worries! Liff Happens is here to clear things up.
What is the IMEI number?
The IMEI or International Mobile Station Equipment Identity number is a unique 15 digit serial number to identify the device. This number is used by GSM network carriers, like At&t and T-Mobile, to identify valid devices on their network.
What would I need it for?
Your phone IMEI number can be an important piece of information that is typically required when reporting a missing device or even verifying ownership for found devices.
How do I find my IMEI?
Great question! The answer is it depends.
When you have the device:
If you still have the device then this will be quite easy.
Dialer IMEI Lookup
- Open up your Phone app ( )
- In the Dialer punch in this sequence: *#06#
- Boom there is your IMEI Number
Find it on the “outside” of the Phone
IMEI numbers can be found on the outside of many devices and here a a common place to locate them:
- Etched in small print on the back
- On the Sim Card tray (pop out with a paper clip)
- Under the battery after removing the back of the device
If you don’t have your device.
Well that’s not great and you might need this info. Locating the IMEI number is slightly more difficult, but not impossible.
iPhone: Get it from Apple
There are several places to check that might show your device’s serial or IMEI/MEID number.
- Go to your Apple ID account page (appleid.apple.com) in a web browser on your computer.
- Sign in with the Apple ID that you use on the device that you need the serial or IMEI/MEID of.
- Scroll down to the section called Devices. To see a device’s serial and IMEI/MEID number, select that device.
Android: Get it from Google
- Login to Google’s Android Device Manager, https://www.google.com/android/devicemanage
- Select the missing device from the list provided.
- To see a device’s serial and IMEI/MEID number, select the information icon (i) in the top right.
Call your Carrier
Your cellular carrier will typically keep your IMEI number on file associated with your phone number. Highest success rate but customer service wait times and talking to humans can get a little rough.
Find it a from backup
iTunes may save you here
- Open iTunes
- Open Preferences (Mac: Command Comma ,)
- Select Devices
- Hover Mouse over the backup
- Boom IMEI
On the original packaging
Interested in hearing more or want to chat with the Liff Happens Crew? Reach out below: